Saturday, December 11, 2010

Mom's health - 6:35 p.m. - Liz

So after a very precarious time, they took Mom off the BiPAP and put her back on the nasal cannula. At that point, she progressed very quickly in a positive direction. She was laughing and smiling. She was communicating well with all of ous children.

So this is now Bruce typing - I just took over from Liz (on her fancy pants Mac).

So today with all 7 children and some in-laws and out-laws - Mom actually started communicating. At times before they removed the bi-bap she was saying "Goodbye Children - I love you" and giving us strong indicators that we was going to pass. But then when they removed the bi-bap and she started to actually communicate, she actually told me now that she was joking. She does tell me that it is getting worse though - but the point is that she can communicate that.

We have been singing all day various songs that she taught us when we were younger including Christmas carols.

Well I have to go take care of mom now.

4 comments:

  1. This whole blog has reminded me of an analogy I wrote sometime back and just came across recently while preparing a talk on strengthening families.
    ----------------------------------------------
    One day, I noticed a small tree struggling to grow. So I tied a rope to a nearby fence and then wrapped it around the small tree to help support it so it could grow straight and tall. Years later, I noticed that the tree was now big and strong. I also noticed the rope that still attached the tree to the fence. I went to remove the rope, and then realized that through it, the strong and mature tree was now supporting the old and aging fence. ~Eddie Powell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news! Glad to hear some goodnews about Grandma. We are so worried about her. Gwen had a nice long prayer about it and at one point said "Please bless our Grandma Bassett. She is our Great Great Grandma. I said two greats because she is both kinds of great" We love Grandma so and are so glad that we have had extra chances of visiting her lately. We can't wait to see her again. Hang on Grandma, we're coming!(Not sure whether that sounds more like a promise or a threat, ha ha )

    Eddie. Geez. You're making me cry. Loved that analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Grandma Bassett,
    We have been thinking about you every day and hope that you are feeling a little better. I also wanted to tell you a couple of things: I never had a Grandma growing up. My mom's parents died when I was young and I've only seen my Dad's parents a few times my entire life. After being in this family for only a few years, I feel like you have been my Grandma my whole life. I came into this family a little different, and you have ALWAYS made me feel like this is right where I belong. I truly appreciate that and wanted to let you know what a loving and strong person you are. We hope to be able to see you in a few weeks :)

    With love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, Lizzie, I think this is a great idea. Thank you and thank you to all who have contributed. Second, G-ma B: Thank you for your powerful example. You are always so sweet to me and make extra effort to share things you have learned and feel strongly about with me. I loved your invite last year for us to do something for someone else with the money you gave us and I have thinking about it all this year too. You have inspired and motivated me to keep my eyes open for ways that I could serve others. I have had many special experiences. THANK YOU is the best way I can think to express what I feel. I just love you and hope that I can give you one more "sqeeze" soon! We think about you all the time! Love, Stef :)

    ReplyDelete