Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Enjoying IMC

Well we've spent our first full day at IMC (Intermountain Medical Center). What a nice hospital!! We've seen the emergency room, Coronary ICU, the huge and cheap cafeteria and nearly everything in between. Mom even got weighed while still in the bed (the bed has a built in scale...fun, huh?). I hope to discover the walking track between the whole IMC complex tomorrow when they kick us out of CICU from 6-8 PM. I wonder how long that will take.
Mom has been in ICU today. We had hoped that she would move today into a regular room, but not to be. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, we are grateful for baby steps...she is not wearing a bipap machine today like she did all night last night. She sat in a chair for 6 hours and played some No Peeky with Curt and I today. We said goodbye to my husband Kyle as he went home after his great support this week. We watched Fredette and BYU wipe up U of Utah in basketball tonight.
She has been able to wear just an oxymizer (CICU's oxygen version of Groucho Marx) today and keep her oxygen levels up in the 90's' all day. She isn't voiding fluid from her lungs and pleural cavity as rapidly as the doctors would like...but she is voiding slowly but surely. She had a lot of fluid to flush, but they don't think any of it is pneumonia, so that's good. Time will tell...
Last night, she anticipated dying...she was so depressed that she had to make a trip to the hospital again...but today she is in better spirits. We're hopeful that the doctors will be able to figure out the cause of her fluid build-up before her kidneys take a fatal hit... because she can't go home this way!
Continue to support and love her as only family and friends can. Continue to pray for her as she makes her slow progress. We love and appreciate you! Thank you!!

3 comments:

  1. Poor Grandma, it has got to be discouraging to be spending so much time in hospitals. We love you Grandma! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carry on my mother. Remember, there is so much to Carry On for! If for no other reason than to see Brit and Ben married in YOUR temple in April, to see Tanner go back on his mission, to see Joe and Tanith get sealed in the temple in October and all little babies that MIGHT be coming this year. Loves to you my momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sister Bassett:
    I'm thinking of you today. I have followed your difficult journey on this blog, and I'm sorry that you have to go through this! I'm sorry that you are back in the hospital after just getting comfortable at home! It's been a long time since you have felt well, and I am inspired by your continuous fight over these many weeks. I am inspired by your wonderful family for gathering and caring for you. It really speaks to the kind of mother you are that they have done that. I know that your fight is exhausting mentally and physically, and I also know that there is purpose in it.

    My mother had a dream recently that has meant a lot to me. You know she's been navigating through the difficulties of caring for my dad. She dreamt that she was sitting in a theater (the stage kind). She was alone, surrounded by rows and rows of empty chairs. A very kind and nicely dressed usher came down the aisle, leaned in and told her "It's OK; it's all part of the plan." Then he smiled, turned and walked away.

    Anyway, that was a real comfort to my mom. I hope you can feel a sense of peace and purpose as you fight for your health. When you get discouraged I hope you can think of the people, all over the world, who you have taught, lifted, encouraged and touched; whose lives are better because you were part of it! I certainly fit into that catagory :)

    Love,
    Shauna

    Dear Jill:
    (and all ya'll) You inspire me as I see how dedicated you are at helping your mom. You all have busy lives and routines that you have left behind as you spend weeks upon weeks lovingly caring for her. I know you are also going through the difficulty of facing the unknown future. My prayers are with you as well as Sister Bassett.

    ReplyDelete