First,
THANKS to all my brothers and sisters who have written blogs on this site providing updates on Mom's health (especially Jill who by far wrote the most and was with Mom the most during the past nearly 2 month ordeal) and to those of you who have made such kind comments about Mom here. We welcome you to leave your final comments and thoughts about Mom here or on her Mortuary blog (www.jenkins-soffe.com) which we will compile for her personal history.
1. Here is Mom's funeral information and all are invited to attend:
Thursday Evening Viewing: January 27 (5:30-7:30 PM) at Jenkins Soffe Funeral Home:
1007 W. South Jordan Parkway
South Jordan, Utah 84095
Friday Morning Viewing (9:45-10:45) and funeral (11:00) at the Jordan River Temple Chapel (just north of the Jordan River Temple, South Jordan Utah).
2. If you desire to make a gift to express your love for Mom, please make a gift on her behalf to the LDS Church's perpetual education fund https://secure3.convio.net/ldsp/site/Donation2?df_id=1480&1480.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr004=vx7t4fvc74.app333a
3. You will find her obituary soon at www.jenkins-soffe.com.
We love you all,
Curt
(on behalf of the family--although I am the favorite son, which, of course, I don't have to say to those of you who knew Mom well)
To the Dear Bassett Family,
ReplyDeleteTo put into words what your mother meant to us is totally inadequate. From the moment we met her in the Dallas Temple, we knew she would be a very important person in our lives. Her strong testimony and her spunky personality combined to make a very special lady!! She and President Bassett had small groups of us over in the evenings or on our p-days to join them in playing games. You're right, Jill, she was the very best of the party girls. What fun we had. The talks she gave to the sisters in our prayer meetings were so filled with common sense and her folksy way of putting things endeared us to her and made us want to do our very best as we served in the temple. Since our releases, we have had the great privilege of living in the same ward with your Mom, so we continued to benefit from her encouragement and unique counsel. One word will always be connected with our memory of your Mom. SMILE!! And what a great example she was of that gift. One couldn't help but smile in her presence. After we get over the great sadness at her passing, we will certainly smile each time we hear her name.
Ramon loves to fish and neither one of us enjoy eating fish and to his delight, he learned that your Mom loved fish even from her early days when your Grandfather was the fisherman. And so we were privileged to take the fish Ramon caught to her. How she appreciated receiving them and would always have something for us to take home with us as a thank you such as a video to watch or some special candy, etc. Knowing that Ramon was a fisherman, she bought him several cute plaques to hang in his fishing room and also gave him a statue of a black bear holding a fish which sits on our front porch. When Ramon was ill a short time ago, she came over with a beautiful chrysanthemum plant. We always knew that she loved us and was genuinely concerned about our welfare. For one of our temple reunions, she rode with us up to Rexburg, Idaho where we attended the new temple as returned missionaries. She directed us to your father's gravesite and we spent some time there reminiscing with her. How she loved your Dad. We know that she is now happy and well again and reunited with President Bassett and that is certainly a comfort. She put up such a good fight and certainly endured graciously right to the end of her life. We will never forget her and will always remember her example and wonderful common sense teachings. We love her and we love each of you and pray for your comfort and happy futures.
Ramon and Colleen Dickson
Your mom has been my sister, friend, inspiration, counselor, matchmaker, etc. etc. I will truly miss her!!
ReplyDeleteSo many memories come to mind. Here are a few:
My earliest memories of her were when my brother, your dad, entertained his friends including your mom, in the basement of our home as they played ping pong. I remember being left at home because I was too young to attend the Idaho Falls temple with them on their wedding day but Mardette and I felt included when we participated as flower girls in the wedding reception. Then there was the exciting news I received when I returned home from school, (Sept 10 as I recall) and found out I was an aunt for the first time, of twin girls no less. Upon our visit to the Rexburg hospital, we found these two small quiet babies in incubators.
In the weeks that followed, your grandma and grandpa Bassett and I visited your little family in Salt Lake City where your dad was completing his master's degree (as I recall) in civil engineering. I very clearly remember that those two quiet babies were not so quiet as they both had colic. It took a lot of strength and stamina for your mom, who had the primary care of these two colicky babies while your dad successfully completed his last two years in one. I still remember your dad sitting on the lawn in his graduation robes holding his two little girls, his leg outstretched revealing a big hole in his shoe. It was a great visual aid to illustrate the struggles your parents had in those early years. Your folks were a great team and continued to be throughout their married lives, supporting each other in their various responsibilities.
Well, skipping ahead to other memories. I remember trips we took together to California, to Vermont, and a short trip with your family to Lagoon Amusement Park and the fish hatchery when we celebrated Grandma and Grandpa Bassett's 50th wedding anniversay. She was always so fun to be with.
Janice always seemed to have so much energy. I remember Janice's untiring stamina, her bravery and her fun-loving nature during these trips.
She was a great example to me of a wife and mother! When I came to stay the summer with your family when you lived on Juniper St in Mission. I watched as your family had family home evenings together. I especially remember the talent show we had at the ward house. Janices was always encouraging your talents.
Your mom was the matchmaker that brought your Uncle Wayne and me together. Furthermore, she was largely responsible for Wayne's brother and sister-in-law, Gerald and Betty Scott and their family joining the Church. We did lots of fun things together: Attended stage productions at Starlight Theater, played lots of board games late into the night until your dad announced, "Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to bed." We had an excellent singing mothers group in Kansas City, and Janice and Wayne were instrumental in getting Gerald to record one of their concerts, which help them get acquainted with other members of the Church. Janice was there bringing meals into Betty when Betty was ill. There was nothing pretentious in all our good times together; Janice was just being herself. She loved and I'm sure she still does love people!
We have enjoyed spending time with your folks since we both have moved back to Utah. We have tried to include her in our family times together and she has been so gracious to include our family in Bassett, Minson, Reunions. We all love Aunt Janice and your family!!!!
Love, Aunt Ann
Here's a little memory for Sister Bassett's personal history:
ReplyDeleteDuring the summer of 1986 I was home from BYU working in Houston. One particular week all of my family except for me were out of town. Knowing that I was all alone at my house, Sister Bassett invited me to come and stay with her until my family got back. What a treat! I loved being at her house, so I gladly accepted the invitation. Now, Sister Bassett could look you in the eyes and see your inner soul--you might as well start spilling the beans on anything going on in your life because she was going to get it out of you eventually!
I had been dating a nice young man at the Y before I came home that year, but it wasn't serious. During my stay with her, Sister Bassett took quite an interest in this relationship. After a while she asked if I had made a quilt for him yet. What? She said I should absolutely make a quilt to take back to him in the fall. Before I knew it, she had helped me design one. The next day I bought fabric, and she helped me piece the top, tie the quilt and bind the edges. It looked amazing! All the while we would talk about this boy. By the time I left for home several days later with my quilt I was feeling pretty good about this boy! That fall I gave that quilt and my heart to him. We were married a few months later, and will celebrate 25 years together this year. I have a hunch that I'm not the only one she helped nudge down the aisle!
I love you Sister Bassett. I miss you. I know I will see you again. Save a place at the game table for me :)
Love,
Shauna
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Bassett family - I was blessed to work with your Mom and Dad when he was the temple president. I always referred to that presidency as the dream team. I loved your parents dearly.
ReplyDeleteIt was in 1997 when Elder Bednar become president of Ricks College and your Dad was writing him a letter that we realized that my great-great grandfather, Thomas E Ricks, was a friend and in the stake presidency with your great-great grandfather, Thomas J. Bassett.
Your mom used to say that it took a Ricks and a Bassett to get together in Texas. I always felt Thomas E pulled Thomas J to the side and asked him to pull some strings for me.
They were both so full of love for everyone. I looked upon them as my second parents.
My prayers and thoughts are with you all. Your Mom will be missed but I know she's loving being there with your Dad and her other family members. Undoubtedly planning a big reunion.
I just got around to reading this. I found it through my brother's blog. Your mom was a wonderful woman. I am sure she will be missed here now, but imagine the joy on the other side.
ReplyDelete