Sunday, January 23, 2011

Goodbye to a great lady

Well, it's not goodbye, but see you later. My mom passed away at 10:47 tonight at the Intermountain Medical Center Hospice floor Rm. 924. I know this is a great shock for those who have been following this blog. It seems quite unexpected...and yet it isn't. Mom has been struggling for some time with her congestive heart failure. She has been in and out of hospitals since December 4th...this last time, but had more hospital experience prior to December...
She had wanted to go ever since my dad died on St. Richard's Day, March 17, 2002. But knowing that was not the Father's will, she has tried to bless the lives of so many, not only since then, but over her 78 years of life. Her perky personality and spunky independence are now blessing the lives of loved ones on the other side of the veil. Most particularly, we have all imagined the wonderful reunion she is having with our dear dad, Dick, and her parents, brothers and other family members that she tried to help us to know our entire lives.
Suffice it to say, Mom died tonight with almost all her children, who were in town, by her side, along with her sweet sister Mardette and husband Royce and several grandchildren waiting in the wings. She died peacefully with a semi-smile on her face.
She planned the celestial party and lots of family came to attend. She had at one time about 37 family members there to say goodbye with several others calling her on the phone to give their farewell wishes. She is DEFINITELY loved!
More details of the funeral and graveside service will be forthcoming. We would love it if you would share any stories about Mom on this blog with the family. We would love to hear how Mom has impacted your life.
We'll say, adieu...see you later! We LOVE you, Mom!!

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, as Blaine and I were talking last night we discussed why Heavenly Father had Grandma stick around for an extra painful, trying, month, when she was so close to returning to him in early December. And we made a pretty remarkable list of all the things that Grandma got to be a part of this last month-

    *two missionaries coming home (Remington and Dallin)
    * One grandchild born (baby Stephen)
    * One grandchild announced (Melissa and Scott)
    * Lots of grandkids in town for the holidays-- Ben and Kacey, Scott and Melissa, Maretta and Danny, Eddie and Kisty (possibly more)
    * Brittany got engaged
    * Blaine got a great scholarship
    * All of her seven children got to see her relatively well...they all flew in when she was knocking on deaths door but she recovered enough to play games with them, watch movies with them, etc.
    *She got to spend priceless time with you and Jann, and Bret, and Bruce, and Steph and Wendy and more as you all so kindly spend many nights with her.

    I don't know, but what a tender mercy that she got to be around for such an eventful month.

    Grandma is simply one of the most remarkable people I have ever met and I feel so grateful to be a part of her legacy, and so grateful that I have learned from her how to do hard things and how to keep a family close though they live miles and miles apart.

    I'll always remember that one of the very first things Grandma ever said to me was "Well, aren't you the cutest little hooker!" ha ha. It was because she came up to Blaine and I at his piano recital and I had "hooked" my arm through his. But I'll always remember that Grandma always thought of me as a cute little hooker!

    Here's praying for peace and comfort to those who Grandma has left behind. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing keeping my heart from being broken is the thought of that reunion you wrote about. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Your love and tireless care for her was inspirational. I hope you'll all be blessed with peace and comfort knowing what a better world we had because your mom was in it. Somehow the world seemed a safer place with her in it, and I will truly miss her.

    Love,
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice was such a bright spot here in our ward and our condo community. She has such a gift of making each of us feel important and loved. Her influence has changed our lives and made us all happier people. Her buoyant personality cheered us on through our challenges in life. Her example in her service and her deep love for her family will continue to impact our lives.
    How wonderful for her to have had so much attentive care from her children and to have been surrounded by so much love as she made the transition. Your valiance and unity as a family at this critical point in her life leaves a beautiful legacy for your children as well as for each of us whose lives have been changed because we knew the one and only Janice Basset
    I send my love, gratitude, and deepest sympathy to each of you.
    Elizabeth Burton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Dear Bassett friends,
    We are so grateful that we were able to visit Janice Thursday. She was her normal cheerful self in spite of all she has been through. What a blessing it was to have the love and care she got from you these past 2 months. You are her living legacy. She was very special to us. She was like our 'mom away from home' when we lived in Houston. We know how happy she and your dad are to be together again. We have cherished our relationship with 'the Bassetts' for the past 32 years. You will always hold a special place in our hearts. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love,
    Steve and Barb Olsen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bassetts,
    I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. I remember your Mom and Dad from the good old days when we were in Kansas City 1st Ward and then Overland Park Ward. Your dad was a great Bishop and your mom was lots of fun.

    Please accept my condolences for your whole family. I have let my brothers know - Ken and Steve - who are both in Arizona. May Heavenly Father continue to bless you as a family during this time.



    Love,
    Kathleen Fackrell Divis

    ReplyDelete