It’s late and I just got home from the hospital. Dear Bruce spent the night with Mom tonight, but he has church commitments before his 9:00 church schedule, so I want to be back early in the morning to relieve him. I’m writing this blog as I treat myself to a Nestle’s ice cream drumstick...not wise, I know, but I’m trying to be good all day long and although the hospital food is generally very cheap, the ice cream there is $1.65 per scoop. I’m not willing to pay that. So I treat myself the nights that I come home...
Today was an up and down day for Mom... unfortunately for her, more downs than ups. Mom’s creatinine level went up slightly (to 2.6) but her BUN jumped way high from yesterdays 67 to 83. Yikes!! She also remained basically static on her weight, which is okay considering she lost 4 lb. of weight the day before. Since we’ve gone into the weekend, we had the weekend on-call doctor come instead of Dr. Elhaddi...Dr. Massinople is his name (try to remember that one!). He reduced her lasix booster from two doses to one dose per day, since her kidney numbers were rising. However, he did up her lasix...giving her 3 doses of 60 mg per day instead of 2 doses of 80 mg. He is reducing her Metoprolol because her heart rate is going great at 65-75 and moving her digoxin to every other day...
That’s the facts...
Mom asked the doctor when she could go home. Dr. Massinople said that Dr. Elhaddi told him Mom would ask him that question. He told her she could go home when her oxygen needs lower. That means more stints on the spirometer and more exercise.
Finally, tonight, Mom had a meltdown... Why wouldn’t she? She had her heart valve surgery one month ago today, and she is still in the hospital. She discovered how many hospital rooms were empty when she walked around the “loop” and deduced that they could all go home... but still she remains. She began to think it was a conspiracy by the doctors to keep her in the hospital so they could get richer at her expense (literally). I told her it wasn’t the doctors’ money that caused her oxygen saturation to drop like a rock every time she took off her cannula. It wasn’t the doctors’ money that keeps the fluid build-up around her heart, causing her to have problems breathing. She just doesn’t understand why she isn’t getting any better, except she knows that the longer she remains in bed, the weaker she is becoming. Poor Mom!! I try to help her count her blessings and that this experience is all part of a plan, but that’s hard to swallow when you’re facing what she’s facing. She tries valiantly to be her old perky and sassy self with the nurses, the visitors and the doctors. But I can tell it’s also wearing her down...
The real upside was when Liz and her daughter, Chelsea showed up at 9 PM, followed by Bruce. They came right in the middle of watching “Bewitched”. Mom was so excited to see them, and was ESPECIALLY thrilled when Chelsea volunteered to rub her feet and legs. We kept asking if she wanted to move higher in her bed, and she said, “No... I just want Chelsea to rub my legs.” Chelsea figures she could get her Grandma to write her into the will for that! Mom felt like she had feet again. It even gave her courage to walk in the hallway half a loop with Bruce around 10 PM.
Mom got so down, the nurse, Boyd, came in and offered to give her a sleeping pill in addition to her Benadryl. When I asked which sleeping pill and he mentioned Ambien, I said, “No way, Jose! That’s what put her into ICU back on her birthday, December 5th, when they found her passed out on the floor. So she will not be getting that medication again!!
Well, I am falling asleep as I write this last paragraph, so please excuse the writing. Tomorrow is Sunday and will be a better day. They send a daily missionary couples to each LDS patient’s room, and the one today told her that there is a Sacrament meeting at 9:00 downstairs. But they will also be bringing the Sacrament up to her at 10:00, so we will probably stay around for that. After all, I brought my Conference Ensign and Bret left his draft notes for his ward conference meetings tomorrow, so we’ll have plenty of reading material. We can have our own Sac. Meeting per se right in Mom’s room!
Yawn! Off to bed!!
Dear Janice, How wonderful it was to visit with you on Friday. You are truly an inspiration to us as you face your trials day to day. You have such a strong and special spirit. We are just very grateful to be counted as your friends. You are in our prayers daily. Please keep that beautiful smile on your face and know that many love you and are praying for you and pulling for you. Love you dearly, Ramon and Colleen
ReplyDeletetom and i are so sorry for the "down" days. we continue to pray for you, sister bassett. we love you and you are such an inspiration to us. stay strong! also many hugs (and much ice cream!) to those who sit and watch with her. :)
ReplyDeletelove, love, love,
kerry & tom
Dear Janice,
ReplyDeleteToday was Ward Conference in our 8th Ward. Bp. Mayne spoke and Pres. Snow gave comments. Both did a wonderful job. When we got to RS we had 102 sisters!!! That was counting 4 from the Stake who attended and spoke briefly. Pres. Snow was there as was Bro. Bye who is the Stake High Councilor over RS.
Pres. Snow stood the whole time until he spoke because there simply weren't any more chairs - or space for any more. And that was after they brought in a lot more! What to do...What to do.... We are so glad so many sisters attend. We are simply going to have to figure out how to get more chairs in!!!
It is warmer outside today with melting and overcast skies. Both are a relief. Newbolds have been here since before Christmas, but they are going back to St. George tomorrow. They've been here because of a very sick 29 year old grandson.
I understand that Egli's are purchasing a home in Reunion. I didn't know that they were renting all of this time! They will still be in our ward, I believe.
I can't think of much more news.
Keep that cheerful sassy attitude going.
We miss you and love you.
Lois Ann